Ruofei Du and Amitabh Varshney
Welcome! I am a doctoral candidate at the Dept. of Computer Science, University of Maryland, College Park, as well as a research assistant advised by Prof. Varshney at the Augmentarium, UMIACS, working on all aspects of virtual and augmented environments: spanning 3D user interfaces for social media (Social Street View), 4D video acquisition and rendering (Video Fields), gestures (VRSurus), crytography, and visualization. Previously, I interned at Microsoft Research on 4D reconstruction. I also worked at Makeability Lab, HCIL advised by Prof. Jon Froehlich on tangible interfaces (AtmoSPHERE), real-time OCR with haptics feedback (HandSight), and curb ramp recognition (Tohme). I am passionate about inventing future interactive technologies, including interactive 3D graphics, technical HCI and computer vision. Please watch my Youtube list for intriguing demos!
- 9/20/16: Paper submitted to IEEE VR 2016.
- 7/24/16: Social Street View won the Best Paper Award at Web3D 2016! News
- 7/18/16: Social Street View and Video Fields accepted by Web3D 2016.
- 5/23/16: Started my internship at the I3D a.k.a. Holoportation Group in Microsoft Research, Redmond.
- 4/6/16: 39-page journal paper on HandSight is accepted in TACCESS.
I got my M.S. in May 2015. Prior to UMD, I got my B.S. degree from ACM Class, Computer Science at Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU). I served as the vice president of the ACM Class and a undergraduate research assistant in BCMI Lab. From Jul. 2012 to Feb. 2013, I worked as a full-time intern at Microsoft Research Asia working on 3DVAR: From 3D reconstruction To Virtual and Augmented Reality while serving as the Chief Technology Officer at the ARD Intern Community of Microsoft Asia-Pacific Research & Development Group.
Ruofei Du and Amitabh Varshney
Evaluating Haptic and Auditory Directional Guidance to Assist Blind People in Reading Printed Text Using Finger-Mounted Cameras
In ACM Transactions on Accessible Computing (TACCESS). 2016 | 39-page paper
Ruofei Du and Liang He
In Proccedings of International Conference on Data Science and Engineering. 2012.
Selected Media-covered Projects
In Microsoft Research TechFest 2013, Champion of Microsoft Research Asia Student TechFest 2013.
Ruofei Du, Jiawei Gu
Published in Windows 8 App Store
Interactive Poisson Blending on GPU (ShaderToy)
Geollery: Visualizing Geo-Tagged Instagram Galleries on the Map
Shangfu Peng and Ruofei Du
AngryBirds: Deliberately Planning and Acting for Angry Birds with Refinement Methods
C-Flow: Visualizing Foot Traffic and Profit Data to Make Informative Decisions
Enchanting Ema: A Magical Interpretation of Shinto-Japanese Beliefs
3DEye: Eye-controlled 3D Wander System in 2010
JanCorpus: A Search Engine for Corpus With Millions of Janpanese Essays
57aMP: Create physical stamps using the thermal power of touch.
Tiffany Chao, Ruofei Du, Jon Froehlich
Cubot: An In-hand or Wearable Input Device Attached onto Everyday Object
57fire: Create live fire illusion in holographic display using heat
Ruofei Du, Tiffany Chao, Jon Froehlich
- UistViz: 26 Years of UIST Coauthor Network Visualization
Statistics for K-mer Based Splicing Analysis
- A+ | Spring 2015 CMSC 828V Advanced Topics in Visual Computing by Prof. Amitabh Varshney
- A | Spring 2015 CMSC 773 Computational Linguistics II by Prof. Philip Resnik
- B | Spring 2015 CMSC 722 Artificial Planning by Prof. Dana Nau
- A | Fall 2014 CMSC 828B Advanced Topics in Information Processing by Prof. Larry Davis
- A | Fall 2014 CMSC 754 Computational Geometry by Prof. David Mount
- A | Fall 2014 CMSC 660 Scientific Computing I by Prof. Ramani Duraiswami
- A | Spring 2014 CMSC 838F Advanced Topics in Tangible Interactive Computing by Prof. Jon Froehlich
- A | Spring 2014 CMSC 702 Computational Systems Biology by Prof. Hector Corrada Bravo
- A | Spring 2014 CMSC 798 Graduate Seminar in Computer Science by Prof. Yiannis Aloimonos
- A | Fall 2013 CMSC 734 Information Visualization by Prof. Ben Shneiderman
- A | Fall 2013 CMSC 733 Pictorial Information Processing by Prof. David Jacobs
- A | Fall 2013 CMSC 798E Graduate Seminar in Computer Science by Prof. Jeff Foster
- Student Member, IEEE and ACM
- Reviewer. CHI 2016 .
- Reviewer. GI 2016 .
- Reviewer. IDC 2016 .
- Reviewer. ISMAR 2015 . PC: Prof. Adrien Bartoli
- Reviewer. UIST 2015 . PC: Prof. Jessica Ruth Hullman
- Reviewer. CHI PLAY 2015 . PC: Prof. Magy Seif El-Nasr
- Reviewer. IDC 2015 . PC: Prof. Ben Shapiro
- Reviewer. C&C 2015 PC: Prof. Sally Jo Cunningham
- Reviewer. CHI 2015 . PC: Prof. Andreas Butz
- Student Volunteer, Reviewer. CHI 2014 . PC: Prof. Jörg Müller
- Reviewer. CHI 2013 . PC: Prof. Steve Benford